Thursday 4 November 2010

All shopped out, or Everything's Coming Up Lemons!

Well, I have fallen seriously behind with my bargain-hunter's reports since we haven't done a proper shop for a fortnight owing to health problems etc.  Because we have been so lucky with bargains in the last couple of months, we have a well-stocked pantry, so we haven't had to worry too much except for the odd loaf of bread or half-dozen eggs. Perfect!

 A chance find by David of some cut-price lemon and sultana pancakes in Morrisons has rekindled my love affair with lemons. He has promised to bake me a lemon cake for my upcoming birthday (Oh yes, he cooks as well as everything else! What a guy!), so I had to set to and  make some Lemon Curd for the the filling. The only ingredients were unwaxed lemons (juice and zest), sugar, eggs and butter, and it was not as complicated as I had always believed. Also, my mixing bowl fitted perfectly into the the top of the stockpot I use for jam-making, creating a perfect double boiler! The result was wonderful, possibly the best preserve I have made so far, and so far removed from the commercial version as to be on another planet! It isn't a long keeper of course, so one jar got opened almost immediately so I could make some lemon curd tarts which also failed to keep very long...!

1 comment:

  1. When you come down south and ova to mine i request a lemon curd making demonstration big sister!!! YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete