Wednesday 11 August 2010

A Fruitful Day

A very blustery day. It would have been a great drying day provided you had a boat to bring it in with, as the washing would have been blown across the water...

David did the shopping, today being Wednesday. 
Today's Best Bargains:
  • Aldi, Belmont Rich Tea biscuits  - just 33p a packet, and among the very best on the market, we think.
  • Tesco, Nestle Fruitful Shredded Wheat - 98p
  • Morrison, Alpro Soya Drink 1l -  83p
  • Morrison, Buy 2 CafeDirect Decaff Coffee( £3.25 ea) and save £1.98
Meanwhile, I caught up with the ironing - the Simple Life has its tedious moments, you know!

My dear friend Jayne, in the Wicked South, (frugal vegetarian) sometime sends me eccentric little 'keeping in touch'  parcels. The last one contained some decorated tissues, a replica Ration Book and a Bisto Kids postcard (she knows how much I live in the past!), a sprig of lavender tied with gold ribbon, and a lollipop! 
I owe her a package in return but, as always, funds are strictly limited and I needed to assemble a gift from what I have to hand.
Since I am currently experimenting with making my own scented bath salts, I have a large bag of dried lavender flowers in the pantry. Also some little organza favour bags and lots of craft materials (one of the benefits of being a hoarder!).
I spooned lavender flowers into two favour bags and added a couple of drops of Lavender Essential Oil to boost the scent. Then I made a label for them and put them into a small cellophane bag (the sort you put ATCs in for protection). I think I may have hit upon a good, inexpensive gift idea that is very light to post! Always a bonus when living away from friends and family!
I painted the lavender sprigs with Lumin'Arte Twinkling H2O paint in Snapdragon, having written the label and drawn the stems with Sugar Loaf Whispers Permanent Markers. Then I glued on a little bow to finish it off. Once dry, I popped it into the bag ready to be sent off, once I have added a few more little surprises for Jayne. Hope she likes them!

Dinner tonight was home-made Lasagne, with the white sauce made to my daughter Lizz's recipe which is as follows: Pour some milk in a pan, throw in a good knob or two of butter, add a couple of spoonsful of plain flour and bring to the boil, stirring all the time. It WILL thicken, and the lumps WILL disappear. Throw in a handful of grated cheese, stir, and pour over your assembled Lasagne. It never fails, provided you don't tempt Fate by measuring any of the ingredients!
We ate this with simple vegetables, cabbage, petit pois, carrots and our own courgettes from the (as yet miniscule and unorganised) vegetable patch!

Since to oven was on, I threw together a batch of Choc and Nut Brownies, which are incredibly simple to make and delicious.

Choc and Nut Brownies

100g butter
200g sugar (Soft Brown if possible but white is ok)
180g Self Raising Flour
25g Cocoa
1 large egg, beaten
50g Chopped Nuts 

Sift together the flour and cocoa. Melt the butter and sugar gently in a pan over a low heat, stirring frequently. 
When melted, add to the flour and cocoa and stir well - it will all combine even though it looks unlikely to begin with! When it has cooled just a little, stir in the egg and the chopped nuts. (Pecans are nice, but any will do.) 
Stir it all together until it forms a moist dough. Press into a well greased small tin (about 18cm square, although I use a mini roasting tin which does the job). I had some tiny white chocolate stars left over from making David's birthday cake last month, so I scattered them into the bottom of the tin before pouring the dough into the tin. Ease the mixture into the corners of your tin using a metal spoon.
Bake for 15-20 mins at Gas Mark 4 (180 degrees C)
Don't overcook. The brownie should be quite firm to the touch, not springy like a sponge cake.
Cool in the tin for 30 mins, then turn out onto a cooling rack.
Once cold, cut into 12 - 15 squares.
This is a wonderfully versatile recipe - you could leave out the cocoa but add dried fruit and vanilla essence, or chopped apple and cinnamon, or chopped stem ginger, or mini marshmallows.
The only limits are the contents of your store cupboard and your imagination!
 

1 comment:

  1. Well hello Auntie of mine! I'm ashamed I haven't found your blog until now, we all know how distracted us Parsons get =] Now I must try out this brownie recipe and ahem where are my hoarded crafty bits in the post!? hahaha much love xx

    ReplyDelete