Thursday 2 September 2010

A Very Domestic Day!

I have had a wonderfully domestic day today catching up on my housework and, to my surprise, I actually enjoyed it! 

I suppose it is an indication of just how far the house has progressed in its journey towards the completion of its renovation and refurbishment that it is actually possible to get it looking like something approaching respectable these days, although I am aware that we still have a long way to go. For example, we currently have an open-plan bathroom...the door would have been fitted by now except that I changed my mind about having the door opening inwards and now want it to open outwards. This obviously entails modifications to the doorframe (sorry David!) and because of a peculiarity of the floorboards outside the bathroom requires the fitting of rising butt hinges which can't be got locally, it seems.

It would be acting very much against our frugal instincts to make a special journey just for rising butt hinges, so the door won't get fitted for a week or two yet - I just hope the vicar doesn't call while I'm in the bath...!

Anyway, I tidied and sorted and polished and mopped and vacuumed for all I was worth today, and scrubbed the bathroom vinyl on my hands and knees to make the white squares white and the black squares black, as well as doing a couple of loads of washing and getting them pegged out, dried and put away (okay, I haven't ironed the T-shirts and trousers yet) as it has been such a gorgeous drying day.

The sun is now an orange disc lowering towards the horizon, and the sky is a multi-layered candy floss sandwich of pinks and oranges, purples and mauves, reflected  in a dead calm sea - impossible to photograph with my unsophisticated point-and-shoot, so you'll just have to imagine unfortunately...

 The dinner is bubbling away in anticipation of David coming home and I've even remembered to put the beans to soak for tomorrow's meal! 

I can't remember the last time I had such a satisfying day, and it makes me feel very contented even though I know the tidiness won't last long unless I follow David around picking up and cleaning up after him as he works on the house! 

God willing, once the house is all done, there will be more days like today, and it will be less of a marathon job to keep the house looking more like a home and less like a building site!

1 comment:

  1. Hello, Sally,
    There is a great feeling of satisfaction in getting the house all clean and tidy. I know your laundry must smell heavenly after hanging outside in the sunshine. Renovation is very hard work but so worthwhile in the end. Thank you for coming by for a visit with me and for your very kind comments. Happy September to you~ Vicki

    ReplyDelete